Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pamphlets

I have been a Catholic my entire life and until the last two election cycles, have never received voter information.  I find it a bit disturbing that I have a hierarchy who thinks it's acceptable to tell me what to vote for and what to lobby against.

Over the last couple of weeks, there have been pamphlets in the pews from the Colorado Catholic Conference stating that I need to "Protect Traditional Marriage".  I am to vote no on Civil Union Legislation.  And if I fail to vote in this way I am somehow failing to protect women and children.

I fail to see how civil union legislation passing endangers women and children.  I'd love for someone to explain this to me.  These people of the Colorado Catholic Conference had better come up with a more compelling reason for me to vote or not vote for something than silly scare tactics.


Don't get me wrong, I support my church's stand on most issues and follow all the doctrinal issues with fidelity.  But telling me what to vote for and not to vote for is not one of those things that they have jurisdiction over.

I am a citizen of the United States.  And as a citizen of this country I am guaranteed the right to vote as I see fit.  As long as I cultivate a good conscience and vote using that conscience, the church has no right to tell me how to vote. 

Of all the ills plaguing society and all the issues that work against women and children, civil unions is at the bottom of this list.  When am I going to start seeing pamphlets addressing poverty and domestic violence lining the pews of my church?






No comments: