Sunday, October 15, 2006

Why I don't feed my kids supermarket meat

I recently found this article in YahooNews and it was not news to me, but I added it to my reasons for not walking into Walmart and buy their meat.
FRIDAY, Oct. 13 (HealthDay News) -- Could a turkey sandwich or a bowl of chicken soup be hazardous to your health?

Poultry has that potential, according to research that suggests people who eat drug-treated poultry may be at increased risk of developing antibiotic resistance.

Still, the findings are preliminary and shouldn't make anyone stop eating chicken or turkey, the study's lead investigator said.

"We don't want to suggest to anyone that they should alter their diet based on this," said Dr. Edward Belongia, director of the Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation's Epidemiology Research Center in Wisconsin.

But federal regulators should consider the results as they make rules about the kinds of drugs given to poultry, the investigator added.
Yahoonews

Now take that and imagine what they are feeding your kids in school lunches? Your children might even be ingesting this shit at home.

I was looking for a way to segue into the Whole Food, Organic aspect of my blog and I think I just found it.

If you don't find this sort of situation frightening, you are obviously not paying attention.


There are very simple ways to combat the feeding of your children (or even you)this sort of thing. Don't buy your meat at chain grocers (unless it's an organic or whole food chain). Find a local meat monger, get to know him, ask him about the source of his meat?
http://www.maverickranch.com/ is a good place to start and they sell to many chains and mom and pop stores. Their chicken, while a little smaller than your average SUPER market chicken, is so much more tasty.

The same with your veggies, know where they come from and in the summer months seek out local organic farmers. AND FOR CHRIST'S sake support them! They need you to survive and your bodies will thank you for not adding pesticides to his/her diet. And if you can't find Organic local buyers, at least buy local produce and ask them for a list of pesticides they use.

That is all for now, I shall be researching a good source for finding local, organic farmers and ranchers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to find out where Nick's of Clinton gets their meat, but no luck so far. I guess I'll have to ask.

Linda said...

I looked at their site and they don't indicate where they get their meat. I'd certainly ask

Anonymous said...

nawlakha vague monti gerry nksjku upkeep rigorously vihosi comprise unipharma aiden
lolikneri havaqatsu