Thursday, October 19, 2006

A quandary

As I was sitting on a bench in a local park, watching my 8 year olds team practicing soccer, I'm listening and occasionally participating in the conversations of 2 of the moms. They were discussing "teaching homosexuality" at school. Now, I was busy dealing with my 4 year old, who was meandering too close to the road and only caught bits and pieces. But the parts I did catch were disturbing.

Mom, number 1 who is an avowed conservative, says "Yeah, in California, they even make kids do homosexual role playing". Where the other mother, the avowed christian, says "Gosh, I hope they don't teach homosexuality here too". Mom #1 replies "Oh, I'm sure they do, but I don't think it's as bad as in California".

Within a few moments of this conversation I point out a young couple walking down the road, saying (being the smartass that I am) "Well, isn't that an attractive couple?". To which Mom #1 replied "God, look at the wiggers". I had absolutely no comment I could make that wouldn't start an argument in front of little kids, so I pretended I didn't hear it. My reasoning for pointing out the young couple was one of purely cosmetic issues, they were sloppily dressed and none too clean. I'm a snob about stuff like that, but her's was of a totally racist and personal nature. I just didn't get it.

So, my quandary is now, how do I deal with mom#1. She's very bright and funny and edgy, but she's a total pig too. Mom #2 is a religious nut who doesn't know any better so I can kind of blow her silliness off. But Mom #1 is just a blatant bigot.

I'll be blogging regarding my issue with this woman and how I react to it over the next few weeks. It should be interesting.

No comments: