Thursday, February 15, 2007

More CSAP Garbage

Well, I've now taken to carrying a tape recorder with me when I pick my son up from school.

Last week my son was very ill and out of school the entire week. We took him to the ER Sunday and he was diagnosed with Bronchitis and sent home on a nebulizer and codeine cough medicine. Monday morning I received a phone call from the ER doctor and was told Ben had strep. So antibiotics were ordered and I called the school to makeup work ready to be picked up.

I was put on hold by the school secretary and suddenly the principal was on the line. Asking me how Ben was and how much he was missed (I started at that point to get suspicious as she's never inquired as to his illnesses that kept him from school before). She then immediately went into another spiel telling me why Ben should take the CSAP (that was coincidentally going on while Ben was sick) It was just a regurgitation of everything covered in the meeting the week before. I said "I'll talk to my husband about it" and hung up.

Later that day as I was picking up Ben's work from his classroom teacher, the teacher accosted me too. Only her approach was much worse. She stated that Ben not taking the test is going to jeopardize the rest of the field trips for the year and the class's participation in an upcoming play. I asked why? She stated that it had to do with percentages of kids taking the test. All I said in response was "Well, maybe the school or class needs to come up with different criteria for participation, especially since the test results don't come back until next year. Then she patted me on the back and said "Well dear, it's your decision".

This conversation took place in front of my son's entire class.

Ben will not be taking the makeup CSAP and I will now begin recording each and every conversation the principal and the teacher has with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez... I can't believe they are still pressuring you, and want Ben at school with bronchitis and strep.

You are doing the right thing!

Darcy

Anonymous said...

Good idea about the recorder. But be sure to inform whoever that you are recording the conversation. Don't back down!

Anonymous said...

You might want to consider using a combination of Vitamin C and Echinacea to help your son.

That's what I use now instead of antibiotics for my daughter.

Just a thought - www.goodforyou.com.sg