Sunday, November 12, 2006

That Special Yearning

Ever have the nagging feeling that you have something in your life that you are supposed to do or be?

I've always had that feeling, then I found that I am supposed to be an owner of a diner, cafe or catering truck. Now, that dream is still a few years off, but I know it is to be. The thrill I get when I see an old fashioned cafe or diner, the way I feel when I eat somewhere and think "I can do better than that".

I just yesterday watched a show on Foodtv about great Diners in the U.S. and that old feeling came flooding back. The "I can do that" and "I know I'd be great at that" feeling. The feeling that motivates me.

I often wonder if fellow life travelers have those same feelings? Those feelings of just knowing that you are "supposed" to do something special?

I know how nagging that feeling was for me, and how much it made me crazy until I figured out what it is I was supposed to be and until I started taking steps to get me to that place.

Now that I've identified that thing I'm supposed to be, it's not quite so bad having those feelings, especially knowing that I am working toward that goal.

Food to me, is not just nourishment, it's love, it's not enough to satisfy, I have to inspire the senses.

Now, I'm not a fancy-schmancy cook, I'm not all about presentation, though I am pretty good at that too, I am about the flavor and the comfort. The velvet smoothness of a good cheese sauce, the texture of the perfect meatloaf, the warm feeling of an exception chili or soup. The just the right ratio of mash to potatoes. That's what cooking is to me.

No comments: